The topic of Abortion is a difficult issue to tackle, and once you know where you stand on the subject it is hard to change your mind.
I myself am pro-life, because once I heard about what God thinks of abortion, not only did I not want any part of it but I felt an urgent need to convince other people that what they are doing is wrong.
Let's face it, I am not going to say I'm not trying to change your opinions... because that is exactly what I am trying to do. You can leave my page right now if you wish, but I urge you to at least hear me out. Then if you choose to comment, I will do the same for you.
I will start at the beginning, the Genesis of time. In Genesis 9:5, God makes it clear where He stands. "Murder is forbidden". He does not want us to go around killing each other, and that is the main argument for pro-life christians... that abortion is murder. Plain and simple.
But the next argument is about the beginning of life. When exactly does a person's life begin? Christians believe that life begins at the point of conception. Psalm 51:5 "I was born a sinner- yes, from the moment my mother conceived me".
I honestly cannot believe how anyone could think that little foetus is not a person. It is not considered a person by some people yet because it doesn't have arms, legs, etc and it is still growing into a person. But I believe that a person's consciousness begins when their life begins. It is aware, it has instincts, it is growing.
Anything that has a consciousness is considered a live person. Like a person in a coma, or someone who has been completely paralyzed. As long as they have their consciousness, they are considered to be alive. Anything that is aware of its surroundings and growing is considered life.
Jeremiah 1:5 "I knew you before I formed you in your mother's womb". God knows each and every one of us, he knows every hair on our heads, he knew us before we were even conceived!
The biggest argument for pro-choice is that ultimately the choice lies with the mother because it is her body. How can you justify murder by saying that it is your body and you can do what you like. That's like saying "It is my child, so therefore I have to right to kill it". Or like inviting someone into your house and murdering them, and then justifying yourself by saying that because that person was inside your house, it was your right to do what you want to them. That is not the way that the world works, and it is not the way that God wants us to live. Not only is this opinion dangerous, but the attitude behind it is as well.
But our bodies are not our own, they belong to God. Our bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit. 1 Corinthians 6:13 "But our bodies were not made for sexual immorality. They were made for the Lord, and the Lord cares about our bodies."
God cares about what happens to our bodies, even more than we do. So it is not an argument of 'your body, your choice'- we are in fact hiding behind the real reasons why some want the choice to abort... we just don't want to accept the results of our actions.
If you don't want a child, then don't have sex. It's that simple.
And what is stopping you from putting the child up for adoption, just because you don't want to or can't or are not ready to look after a child, how does that give you the right to kill it? I just don't understand the logic behind it- i thought that one of our most basic human instincts was to protect our children, not to kill them.
But of course that is exactly the reason that the world chooses so carefully the 'politically correct' language we are encouraged to use: foetus not child - dehumanises and desensitises the truth that every mother instinctively knows - what is growing inside her body is a child.
What I find most tragic is that so many women in the world long for this precious gift which seems to be held so lightly. At the same time that late term abortions are being performed, there are anxious families hovering over the cribs of premmie babies even younger. Surely if you had ever seen a photograph of an aborted baby ( as I have) , you could not dismiss this topic - I grieve for each precious life which was never given a chance to live on this earth.
I do not underestimate the bravery of those young women I know who have faced the world with the news of their 'unwanted' pregnancy - in every situation I have personal knowledge of , these girls have been supported and loved - and their children have become loved and essential members of their family and community. No, it was not easy for them , but their courage brought good into the world as welll as life.
I believe we need to have communities that are pro-life; where girls are supported and loved, so babies can be supported and loved too. "We know that in everything God works for good with those who love him" Romans 8:28
I would love to hear your views on this topic, or if you have any questions or problems with what I have written then please comment. I wil leave you with this last thought which comes from the bible itself:
"Rescue those who are unjustly sentenced to death; don't stand back and let them die. Don't try to avoid responsibility by saying you didn't know about it. For God knows all hearts and He sees you. He keeps watch over your souls, and He knows you know. And He will judge all people according to what they have done." Proverbs 24:11,12
- Yammy xo
No comments:
Post a Comment